Summer Refreshment for a Winter's Day

This is my recipe for replenishing after a long run in the snow and ice and freezing cold of winter. It is also a good base for party drinks!  

Pineapple provide vitamins B-6, C & A, as well as some calcium and iron.  It is also a good source of minerals - Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folate, Panthothenic Acid, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium. 

Fresh pineapple is also the source of an enzyme called Bromelain.  Studies show that this enzyme is effective in alleviating joint pain, arthritis, reduce inflammation, inhibit tumor growth and shorten recovery time from surgery.  

Take that Gatorade!

Run Recovery r&r Piña Colada 
Fill Vitamix or other blender with 2-4cups of pineapple fresh or frozen. I don't used canned. 

1 heaping tablespoon of Coconut Creme or Coconut Flakes (sometimes I use both for an extra creamy treat)

Cover with filtered water or coconut water 

Add palm sugar, raw sugar, or maple syrup to taste for added sweetness. 

I only use maple syrup after a long workout. It's full of minerals and calories. ;)

Blend until smooth.  Enjoy!  I also sip this when I have a migraine. I suspect the Bromelain from the pineapple helps ease the pain a bit. 

This makes 1-2 servings. If you add tropical rum to the mix, it makes four lovely party piña coladas.  


Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts