Warm, Cozy, Vegan Chicken-less Broth

I consume a lot of raw fruits and vegetables.  Most of the time I feel great, but every so often, especially in the winter, I want something warm besides tea.  When I'm sick, I want soup! Not a cold apple. 

When I'm on raw vegan websites I see others post that same request. So I'm not alone. Posters ask, "What can I eat when I want something warm or when I want a hot soup?" Another question I see is,  "What's a good substitute for chicken noodle soup?"

Problem solved!  This is my simple broth that will satisfy that craving for something warm.  You can opt to leave the veggies raw and make this even more nutritious. I prefer to sautée mine lightly to release some of the flavor and then save some raw carrots and celery to snack on separate from the soup as a side. 

Here's what you need:

2 cups filtered water warmed in a saucepan on the stove (Don't boil it. It's not necessary.)

Add 1tsp of kosher salt and pepper or more to taste 

Add 1tsp of garlic powder (you can also smash a garlic clove but this addition will change the broth flavor from mild to strong)

Add 1 tablespoon of any chopped fresh herb (I prefer basil and parsley or cilantro.  But I use whatever I have on hand)

Add 1 heaping tablespoon of nutritional yeast. (Don't skip this step. This adds the "chicken" flavor)

In a cast iron skillet or regular pan, in a tsp of oil, sautée two chopped carrots, two chopped celery sticks and half a medium onion chopped. Use a tsp of vegetable oil, coconut oil or light olive oil. Sautée the veggies just until barely softened and then add to broth. 

Voila! Chicken-less soup. 

You can feel free to add to the broth your favorites: pasta noodles, zucchini noodles, brown rice, quinoa, or wild rice. I like to add mushrooms. 

*cheap tip---buy nutritional yeast in bulk at your local organic market. It's less expensive to just purchase what you need for the recipe if you don't use it very often. 

*another cheap tip --- You can save by using dried herbs instead of fresh. If you use dried herbs, use 1-2teaspoons. 

Yummmeeee!  This serves 2. 


Comments

Popular Posts