Almond Mylk Heavenly Nectar!

So many studies show that dairy and meat are not that great for you.  I am trying to convert to no dairy at all in a quest for better health.  My family history of heart disease makes me want to put as many variables as I can control IN my favor as possible.  

I don't like the store nut mylks though. They aren't rich and creamy enough for me. They also have ingredients I can't read.  I'll pass. 

So here I am making my own almond mylk.  

I soak 1 cup or 2 cups of raw almonds overnight.  Rinse them.  Then blend them in a blender with 2 parts filtered water until smooth and frothy.   

Some people use what is called a nut mylk bag to strain the pulp.  I don't. I just pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Works just fine. 

After the mylk is strained, I use a funnel to transfer it for storage into glass jars.  

This is what I drink in the morning with hemp protein or whipped in a blender with hot coffee.  
Sometimes I add a dash of salt (to preserve if keeping the mylk longer than 2-3 days).  I usually add a teaspoon or two of pure vanilla and sometimes I add a sweetener like raw sugar or maple syrup.  

All the above .... Equals deliciousness. I swear it's easier than it looks.  This will keep 2-3 days in the refrigerator.  A little longer if you add a dash of salt.  

Bon Apetit!

Comments

Popular Posts